Saturday, 21 August 2010

Quebec City Restaurant Review: Le Quartier Le Petit-Champlain (Le Petit Cochon Dingue)

One of the areas that I wanted to explore the most while researching Quebec City was Le Quartier Petit-Champlain, the lower town of Quebec. Now that I have seen it, I understand why it is such a big deal. It is the cutest touristy neighbourhood, and is brimming over with eclectic French bistros and little Italian trattorias. The first day that I went down, I found Le Petit Cochon Dingue, which is right beside its sister restaurant, Le Cochon Dingue. The former is a great lunch option, and I got a sandwich of the day, a soup and a drink for about $6. Which is approximately how much each of their sandwiches costs on its own. It is also exceedingly popular it seems, with bikers (bicycle-riders, not motorcyclists) many of whom stopped by  on their break from riding around the city.

I liked it so much in fact, that I decided to go back and buy myself a croissant jambon-fromage and a strawberry cheesecake to take with me for my evening shift at the Expo. It definitely made my evening! The management there is also very friendly, and especially the guy with the shaved head. It's also great to see your pies and cakes being made in the open-concept bakery right beside where you are ordering.


That was day three, I guess. On day five, I went back to the neighbourhood with Pierre-Étienne from the pavilion, and we wanted to go try Le Lapin Sauté but the wait was way too long. We did sit outside on their courtyard for awhile though, and watched with a bit of jealously as some people ate their rabbit and duck with immense delight right beside us. But not to fear! Le Cochon Dingue was near!

Roleaux de canard confit
Brochettes du porc
Tarte à sucre et crème
And a good decision it was. 45 minutes later (it was Saturday evening, after all), we sat down to one of the most exciting menus that I have ever seen. I had to put on blinders for myself so that I would be able to choose out of the hundreds of amazing options. In the end, we both got the summer menu formula, which for me included an appetizer of duck confit, apple and spinach spring rolls with a cranberry and pesto reduction (separately drizzled), pork skewers with basmati rice and seasonal vegetables, and their famous sugar pie and tea for dessert. I also got a panaché, which is a combination of beer and ginger ale. Um, so-so. As for the rest of the meal, awesome. Definitely worth the wait, and a great atmosphere. The plates are all adorable and very "pig themed". Also, as some of you may or may not know, I judge restaurants a lot on their washrooms, and they had great ones. With soap from Fruits&Passion too. The bill came to around $43, with tax and tip.

 Le Petit Cochon Dingue on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...