Friday, 20 August 2010

Quebec City: The Poutine Culture (Chez AshTon)

So, as a Canadian, I know that poutine is one of our defining cultural symbols. How it became that way, I never knew. Growing up in British Columbia, I had a poutine maybe once every 6 months at most, if even. It was just not something that was around. (Probably better for my arteries anyway). I discovered them more and more as I moved to Ottawa, but it was really on this trip that I was wowed by all the possibilities that poutine could be! And I had a few good Quebecker guides to teach me.

After work that day, a group of us went to the Pub St-Alexandre, which is a pub on St-Jean that isn't as obvious if you're not looking for it. It was nice, and a great selection of beers. I had their cider which was really, really good. However, it being 11:30 pm, their kitchen was closed. What do you do in Quebec when the kitchen of the pub is closed? You go to Chez Ashton!

Chez AshTon, where do I start? Basically, their poutine kicks all the other poutine places out of the park. What is it that makes it so good? Well, a variety of things. Their fries are delightfully crispy, their cheese curds are really fresh, and their gravy is smooth and very hot. Furthermore, they have a wide variety of options. Okay, so it was Pierre-Olivier who had to explain to me what was cracking. So, he orders a "mini, avec pois". First of all, the "mini" is the not the smallest size. The "bébé" is. And the regular size is just way too big to be consumed. I got a plain bébé one just to try it, and it was definitely good. But then I was like, "yo man, what's this business with the peas?'

The business with the peas is this: there are many different kinds of poutines you can get, such as a poutine saussices (with hot dog pieces), a poutine Dulton (with ground beef), a Dulton saussices (um, a little bit of overload, I think), and the Galvaude (chicken and peas). However, apparently, if you just ask for peas on the side, it's like, totally free. So apparently, that is what Pierre-Olivier does each time, and he couldn't be happier. (Right, Pierre-O?)

Here is a photo of him being happy with his peas.


Here is Louis-Pierre with his poutine saussises (by the way, we each took a piece while you were chatting with your friend and forgot to tell you... :) )


And Pierre-Étienne took the regular mini. But actually, this that is pictured is mine.
Here is the group of us outside the restaurant. (the three Pierres, me, Katrina and Maude) 
Chez Ashton on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ashton has the best poutine for sure ! You know you stuff !

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...